Thursday, June 16, 2005

Speedway

56. I was gonna say that I have never gotten a speeding ticket, but guess what? I got one today on my way to work. I won't whine and say that I wasn't speeding and I didn't deserve it. However, the speed is not posted on the road until you've already been driving it for about five miles. My assumption was that the eventual posted speed meant you had to slow down to that speed. I did not realize that it was the speed for the entire road. I turn onto that road after I've been cruising the highway for the last thirty minutes, so it's sort of a momentum thing where I eventually taper down as I get close to the city. Apparently the highway patrol has decided to start watching this particular road. I've been driving that road for a while and I’ve only seen a highway patrol once before, though he didn't stop me, and I've been speeding my happy self along that whole time. So really, this was an inevitable thing. But I chitchatted with the trooper while he wrote up the ticket and thanked him for correcting my ways upon leaving his squad car. It was really rather pleasant, except for the part of having to pay the fine. All the future nonessential purchases I had bouncing around in my mind suddenly vanished, and a commitment to work harder and stop piddling around with my life took its stead. So I guess that was okay.

57. I really think that computers will someday be liquid inside. As the transistor gets smaller and smaller, ever approaching a molecular composition, the only way to maintain it will be in some kind of electrolyte solution or something similar. Think I'm crazy? Just wait. You may be right.

58. I want to speak a foreign language. I really want to learn French, though I have a cousin who took it in high school and says it's really hard. I know a little Spanish, and I'm confident that I could eventually grasp the language. German would probably be the easiest, since English is a Germanic language and there are many, many similarities. But it would be awesome to tackle a language like Japanese or Chinese, though which particular dialects, I don't know. Mandarin Chinese is a sort of universal Chinese language that they use to unite all the Chinese dialects together. And I might want to learn Cherokee, since it's one of the few native American languages to survive, and a couple of pints worth of the blood that flows through my veins (and arteries, don't forget the arteries) is Cherokee. I've heard that you can learn a lot about your own language by learning a foreign one.

59. I really think I'm destined to live for a long time. Around 120 years or so. Do I want to live that long? Not really. But I'm afraid it might happen. I really think God has so many things planned for me to accomplish before I die that it's gonna take a long, long time. I heard a joke similar to that. That someone believed God had a certain amount of things set out for them to do, and at the rate they were going, they would never die. See, the thing is, God has a lot planned for me to do, but He also wants me to be patient in each endeavor. Honestly, I'd love to go to heaven today, this instant. As Christians, that is our ultimate goal. Our ultimate prize, rather. But we have an obligation to fulfill our duty on this Earth. And unfortunately, my duty is going to take me a long, long time. So I better quit procrastinating and get done what needs doing so God can take me home.

60. I love to pop the bubble in bubble wrap. I think a lot of people love to do this. Though I know some people that can‘t stand it when others are doing it. It just feels like an injustice to me for that air to be trapped in there like that. There's probably good, breathable oxygen in there that we're gonna wish we had someday when the air gets too polluted. I guess we can wait and pop them then. Maybe that's just it. Maybe bubble wrap is a secret government project to preserve clean, breathable air for the inevitably polluted future. Perhaps it's a federal crime to pop them. Perhaps...

1 comment:

Carol said...

You are doing great with keeping up your blog. Your numbers are very interesting.