Thursday, June 02, 2005

Fertile Ground

It rained for like a week. I finally got back out into my garden to pull some weeds. I've been able to keep the weeds beat back enough so they don't choke my plants, but it still looks horrible. I wouldn't have made the garden so big if I'd known my tiller was gonna go kaput. Between the plants it's like a grassy meadow. But most of the plants seem to be doing okay. A few squash and zucchini plants looked dwarfed. Hopefully they will grow out of it. My potatoes are doing wonderfully. I'll be eating potatoes all winter. My tomatoes will be fine. Last year we didn't even attempt to pull the grass away from them and they still made tomatoes like crazy. I'm sure I'll have more green beans than I can handle. Peas never do any good around here. The lettuce and spinach already had their run. It wasn't a very successful one. I've never had success with corn before. We shall see. Half of them look sallow for some reason. Cucumbers should do fine. My tiller broke before I could make a spot for the cantaloupe and watermelon. We'll have to buy some from a roadside stand. Okra's still waiting on some good hot days to get going. Seems like there's more, but I think that's it. Oh, onions are great. They're recovering nicely from the once over I did on them. They really seem to be fattening up. My mom bought some hens a while back, and I would tell you how they are doing except they died three days after she brought them home. She fancies becoming Amish, but she won't be able to let go of the television. I would miss my wordprocessor and the internet and my music. I would introduce the Amish to gangsta rap. Just kidding. Rock and roll all the way. I would teach them some Relient K. I would be married, though. They would have taught me the proper way to court a girl, and she would be helpless to say no. I better go. I'm itching from all the grass. I had to trim the yard as well. I love it, but it has it's consequences.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Cuz, Have you ever considered a job in horticulture?

Blake Lamar said...

You know, as much as I love plants and growing things, I never really thought of it. I do a lot of good thinking on my stories while I'm working in the garden. I should have to look into it.