Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Can't be held responsible

81. I'm a second generation bandwagoner. I say this in regards to the University of Oklahoma. More specifically their football team. I was raised to be a sooner fan, but my family does not come from a long line of Sooner fans. My dad was raised to be an Oklahoma State Cowboys fan. My Granddad and Uncle on his side are die hard OSU fans. My dad even went to OSU for a spell, leaning towards a pharmacy degree. I would have had a much more lavish childhood if he'd stuck with it. Though most likely I would never have been born. But during the Barry Switzer era, when OU was winning a bunch of games and a few national titles, my dad jumped on the bandwagon. However, he stayed on the bandwagon during the Gibbs era. He even trudged through the embarrasments of the Schnellenberger year and the John Blake era. I didn't really get into watching much of anything until the beginning of the John Blake's three year tenure. We've had a bad run in National Title games lately, but we've been having great seasons in the present Bob Stoops era. I think we're looking at two or three losses in the coming season, but that's okay. The Sooners need to be humbled a little bit before they can make another National Title run. But all that is beside the point. I'm not a bandwagoner myself. Well, maybe a little. I've been a Dallas Cowboys fan and Chicago Cubs fan my whole life. I did jump on the St. Louis Rams bandwagon after they won that Superbowl, but I've stuck with them ever since. Of course, ultimately, I know all of this is trivial and means nothing and will not carry on into eternity. If people, especially Christian people, could have as much passion about God as they do about meaningless sports, this world could be a much better place.

82. I work overnights. In fact, I just started working overnights. I still haven't quite gotten my new sleeping pattern worked out, but I absolutely love working the night shift. It's hard and fast work, but by and large stress free. You don't feel so overwhelmed that you can't get things done like I did in the evenings. And when the night is through, I feel like I've really accomplished something worthwhile.

83. I really think a song made with bagpipes, a harmonica, and a snare drum would probably be the best song ever. I tend to like every song that has either of the three. I think bagpipes make a nice intro into a song. Then throw in a nice harmonica solo. With a nice drumroll to finish things. I like the clept drumroll sound, too, where you throw in extra beats amidst the roll. Travis Barker does this quite nicely on Adam's Song by Blink 182 (One of the many bands I probably shouldn't be listening to.) But Mr. Barker is quite the Virtuoso. Tom Petty's pretty good with the harmonica. And Korn's Jonathan Davis uses the bagpipes very effectively.

84. I used to be an awesome soccer player. When I was young, back in my glory days, me and my middle brother were about the best soccer tandem in the land. Quick, fast, strong, and utterly tireless. I could and did play just about every position on the soccer field. My last recallable stint being a goalie, just like my big brother. He was the best goalie ever just about, but I never got to be on a team with him, I don't think. But, alas, we moved away to a place that was more into summer baseball and nobody played soccer, so there weren't any teams. I wasn't near as good at baseball.

85. I think of really cool ways to play jokes on people, but I rarely go through with it. I'm so afraid that I might actually hurt people emotionally and physically with my jokes that I keep them on the inside. Or I tell that person how I was going to play a joke on them and how funny it would have been. They will laugh and quietly feel relieved that I didn't follow through with my cunning. However, these jokes will probably be chronicled in my future novels and short stories.

4 comments:

k8 said...

i like number 83. + i loooove to procrastinate. i sincerely believe things done at the last minute are far superior.

Blake Lamar said...

Did you mean #77? Or did you like the blank spot on my cheat sheet?

Carol said...

#85 Just once, Cuz?

k8 said...

1. the blank spot.
2. i'm w you on the song thing. nothing kicks like a snare, i always say.
3. re the joke thing: i go through w it. all the time! i'm completely obnoxious, i know that shocks you. prank phone calls are my absolute specialty and my greatest joy is tricking someone who knows me really well. i specialize in foreign accents and weird phone surveys. of course caller id has made this a little more challenging, which only adds to the excitement!