Thursday, June 09, 2005

9 months...

21. I love football. College football mostly, but I enjoy all levels of it. I played in high school, and I guess junior high and grade school, too. I would have liked to play in college, but I lacked the physical ability.

22. I'm a perfectionist. I know I've mentioned this before. I understand that nothing done by a human can be perfect, but I try and try until someone finally comes along and tells me that it's good enough. This is why I don't like to clean. I can never get anything as perfectly clean as I know that it can be in my mind. So after sweeping the floor for an hour or so, someone has to stop me. This is also why it takes me a very long time to complete a story. And I've been recently working on a novel. It may never be completely finished. Someone will have to pull my fingers away from the keyboard and tell me that it's good enough.

23. I love thunderstorms. I feed off the energy of it and get all excited. And I sleep better when it's booming thunder outside my bedroom window. I don't really know why. I wake up at the first big boom, then smile and drift back to sleep.

24. I'm a dog and a cat person. I like them both equally well, though I don't have either one for a pet right now. I don't see why they can't get along. Well, some of them do, but as a species they don't. I almost had a dog, but my brother's dogs killed it when it was a puppy before I could get a pen built. So I gave up on the idea. I think it's cruel to put dogs on chains. But it's better than letting them run loose to bite little children. I'm not an animal rights activist, but I don't think humanity is in a position yet to have pets. We should make sure that our own kind are fed and clothed and sheltered before we start pampering our pets. The pet food industry generates over 13 billion dollars a year. That would easily feed and shelter most of the worlds starving and homeless. It's simple and logical, really. But I'm afraid it's a concept we will never quite grasp and put into effect.

25. I wasted about nine months of my life chatting on the internet. I substituted my chat life for a real social life. It was during my second year in college. It didn't affect my grades any, but I could have been doing so many other meaningful things. I actually met a few of the people I chatted with. Those were utter disasters. Nobody is who they pretend to be on the net. Now the only people I chat with are people that I met in real life first. Mostly family, in other words. A few friends. Finally it became summertime and I didn't have access to the net for three months. That's what it took to break me of my habit, and I'm forever thankful. But still, nine months...

No comments: