Friday, June 17, 2005

Never pawned my watch and chain

61. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. But it takes a lot of convincing before I'll accept the truth sometimes. Speaking of which, there is a sign that clearly states the speed on that road where I got my first speeding ticket. I drove that route today and paid careful attention. And there it was. And now I remember that it has been there the whole time, but I somehow managed to block it out from my brain. Brains are funny like that.

62. I'm too trusting of strangers. I want to believe that everyone is well intentioned and has a good heart somewhere deep inside. But I know that isn't true. I've met up with pure evil and been burned. And more often than not by people claiming to be Christian.

63. I am the youngest of three brothers and no sisters. My mom wanted a daughter. After two sons in a row, she decided to stop having babies. Then along came Jones. Long, tall Jones. Smooth walking Jones. Cool talking Jones. My name isn't Jones, but my parents tried to prevent me from occurring. Birth control, condoms. After the difficulties of the second childbirth, not to mention some difficulties with the first, they feared if they tried again, it would be doomed to fail. But here I am, folks. In the flesh. I tell people that I worked so hard just to be conceived that I used up all my life's energy. That's why I'm so lazy and lethargic today. Okay, stop it. I know that's no excuse. I'm not that lazy, and I'm not really sure what lethargic means, so maybe I'm not lethargic at all. Maybe a bit apathetic at times. But now my mother has been blessed with two granddaughters, so she's happy. No, they're not mine. Hopefully I will be the first to give her a grandson. All I need to do is find a wife and do that thing you do that made me and you and all those that were and are to be. Except for Adam and Eve, of course.

64. I made the transition from cassettes to cds rather easily. Just as I am making the transition from vhs to dvd rather easily. I adapt easily to new technologies. I think the mini-dvd is coming soon. Though Sony's minidisc, which were supposed to take the place of cds didn't catch on quite so well. Someday we'll have these thin, transparent, indestructible strips of plastic about the size of a stick of gum that will hold about a hundred terabytes of info that we'll carry around in our wallets or on our keychains. Computers won't have harddrives anymore. We'll just drop our little strips of plastic into the back of a very small mouse, which will have about a hundred times the current processing power of the most expensive computer you can buy today, which will wirelessly connect to extra-super-thin flat panel monitors that you can fold up into your pocket if you want to. And the keyboard will be this thin, spongy plastic thing with little bubbles instead of keys that can be folded up as well. And batteries that last for days that you can charge up with your body heat by sticking them in your pocket or armpit while you're sleeping or working or going about your day or just let them sit in the sun for a while. And completely wireless networking and internet. They will become this totally portable self-sustaining mechanism that can be folded into the size of a wallet and be so completely durable that it would take a ton of bricks falling from a two hundred feet up to cause the slightest bit of damage to it. You may not even need the keyboard. It will probably be 100% voice activated, and alongside basic English, we'll start teaching our kids how to talk to their computers in preschool. This is the future I imagine, and I can see it happening. But hopefully Jesus will come back before then. And most likely, I'll be dead before the technology can be fully realized.

65. 'G' is my favorite letter in the alphabet. Don't ask me why. It just is. I think it's because it was my favorite capital cursive letter to make. And because I like many things that begin with G. Like Green and Grass, which is also green, and God, of course, and gold and good and gosh and grand and don't make me break out my dictionary.

2 comments:

k8 said...

hey. the other day i was telling my friends at work that my kids will never know what vhs tapes and cassettes are. boohoo. right now i am on the prowl for a record player like i used to have - the kind with the mickey mouse arm- so my kids can listen to my storybook records when they are old enough.

Carol said...

#62.People tend to think that everyone is like them. Not true.