Thursday, May 26, 2005

Secret Desires

Writing hasn't been so good the last couple of days. Less than four pages between yesterday and today. And today I had the day off. For some reason I never manage to get much done on my days off. Well, I was gonna work in my garden since it's becoming uncontrollable, but it was raining, so I slept in, then I goofed around and ate lunch and finally sat down and read my bible around 2 or so. I'm nearing the end of Acts. I'm still thinking and working on my little article on Acts 13:48 and Romans 1:20. And there's another verse in Acts. Acts 17:23, I think, that confirms Romans 1:20. Anyways, I've still been talking to people about it and reading different bible translations and praying about it. I'm not a preacher and I'm still fairly new to this getting into the meat of the word business, so I want to make sure I get things straight before I go through with this. And even then I'll present it to you with a disclaimer. I'm a timid fellow, but I'm learning to be bold in Christ.

Back to my writing. I haven't really felt bad that I've not written much. It seems the less that I write at a time, the more focused the writing is. I have a problem with generalizing scenes in the first draft rather than really hammering it out for all it's worth. That's why it's good for me not to know what's supposed to happen next. Because then I do a lot of hammering on the same nail, which gives me lots of options for the second draft. A few weeks ago, I wrote this scene just because I was trying to fill space that didn't really fit with the flow of the current action, but it turned into a great scene that has set up many other great scenes that I will eventually get to. In other words, you have to really search hard and poke and prod in some unexpected places to find the gemstones. If you just ruffle up the dirt as you zoom along, you're not likely to find many, which is what i've been doing on those days I whip out six or ten pages. Yeah, I wrote a lot and moved the story along quite a bit, but those little things that make a story nice aren't as present.

And blah, blah, blah. It's late. I'm tired. I've already written more in this post than I did on my novel today. I should be ashamed. But I'm not.

No comments: