Sunday, July 17, 2005

Intro to the Dead

Alas, the original story I was going to post wasn't working out like I wanted it to. So I wrote a different story from an idea that has been bouncing around my head for three months or so. This story isn't about me at all. Well, maybe a little. It's almost impossible for some deep part of myself not to show up in everything I write. This story is called "Grazing the Dead", and it's about a boy trying to cope with his grandfather's sudden death. It's a common enough theme, but hopefully I've been able to put a unique perspective on it. Truly, my hope is that you'll get to see my style of writing. Like most styles, it was developed accidentally, but I can't seem to part from it. No matter how I tell the story, whether it be third person or first person or any other variance, and no matter what character I develop to give the first person account, whether they be intelligent or not or male or female, it just seems that this particular style, this particular way of going about the story, is forever present. At first I thought it was a bad thing. I couldn't imagine that any style that I could call my own could possibly be any good. I'm still unsure on that matter. I'm sure there are other writers who perhaps write in a similar style, but like everything else, God made each of us different, even identical twins. There's nothing wrong with trying to copy someone else's style as you're learning to write and put the words together that become the story, but inevitably, you will find your own unique way of doing things. Usually, as I have done, by accident. And I'm sure that it will continue to change as I become older and more mature, but the part of it that points at me and says, "Yes, that is you," is becoming more clear. And that core part will probably never go away. As I feared, I will have to do a touch of research for the story, so it will probably be Monday evening before I can post Part I. I'm not sure how many parts there will be. The story ended up being 11 double-spaced pages, so it would make sense to post a single page at a time, but I want to see if I can find any lines of demarcation so I can make each piece seem as whole as possible. Again, stay tuned...

No comments: